[Sca-cooks] Re: Ingredients list SOUP BASES

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 19 06:45:05 PDT 2001

Greetings.

If you can manage a trip to a good food/restaurant wholesaler,
 then you ought to be able to obtain professional soup bases.
 You can mail order them also from a number of places,
 including PENZYS SPICES in Wisconsin. WWW.PENZYS.COM or
 1-800-741-7787. They aren't offering a vegetarian base
at the moment, but they do offer ham, pork, seafood, beef,
chicken and turkey. Try those for a comparison to your little
grocery store cubes.

Sincerely,

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Liadan commented:
> > > Btw, you can get vegetable/pork/chicken/beef stock "powder" in most bulk
> > > or health food stores. I don't like those little cubes.
> > >
> > > Micaylah
> >
> > It would be nice if the local health food store was open when I didn't work. I
> > may have someone stop by for me and pick some up.>
> Actually after comments, I think from this list, I started using the
> little jars (about two inches tall and three in diameter) of the
> condensed, gooey boullion stuff. Much better tasting that the cubes,
> which have a large amount of salt and other fillers. I have seen
> another similar brand in a jar but if you look closely at the
> ingredients > you can choose the one that has the first ingredient listed being the
> stock you are after and not some starch or other filler. I've got
> jars for chicken, mushroom, beef and they may have vegetable, but
> I don't use that. This stuff is much better than the cubes and
> I suspect, the dried powders.>> Okay, I went and looked in the
 refrigerator (it needs to be refrigerated