[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Sat Jul 21 10:23:47 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>You already can get bread, milk, butter and eggs [and IIRC some
>forms of convenience shredded cheese] a the geedunk. What do you
>mean by preserved meats?

Salt fish, salted meat, smoked stuff ... the sort of meat you can have
unrefrigerated without it going off.

>Where do you live and how do you get to Pensic? I and everybody
>in our encampment bring whonking great bunches of non-refrig
>foods, Heck - even Stefan flying in from Ansteorra brings chorizo
>in a cooler.

I live in Canada, and don't drive, so I'm dependent on others for my
transport.  More importantly, though, I'd much rather buy my refrig
foods fresh than try to keep them in a cooler or have to go offsite for
them.  I'm also not at all clear on the customs regulations, but I'm
fairly sure that you're not meant to carry meat or dairy or many other
fresh foods across the border.

And when I say "bread" I mean fresh-baked medieval-style loaves, not
WonderBread[tm].  And convenience shredded cheese does *not* cut it,
either.  I'm sure the Coopers' store is great for modern staples, but I
doubt I'll be able to find fresh spinach or pears or ricotta or suet or
prunes or salmon or bitter oranges there... all of which are the sorts of
things I'd like to be able to buy at the market.

Yours,

Katherine

--
Lady Katherine Robillard  (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/