[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Sun Jul 22 11:00:22 PDT 2001

>Hrm.  *sigh*  I don't *want* to break my medieval mood every few days
>and get changed into modern clothes and get in a car and drive to a
>supermarket.  I *really* don't want to have to do that.
Can't do much about the car, obviously - but downtown New Castle
is sufficiently accustomed to us that they won't even blink at people
wearing garb.
(Mind you, driving a car in medieval garb _is_ mind boggling. I've
been doing it for years, and I _still_ have a weird feeling about it.)

>The point, for me, isn't that it's not possible to get food offsite and
>keep it in coolers.  The point is that getting food offsite and keeping
>it in coolers doesn't feel "right" for me when I'm deep in medieval
>mode.
Coolers? Why not dig a pit, line it with a couple of tarps, put the food in,
and put ice on top? I've seen it done often enough at Pennsic; the Coopers
don't mind, as long as you remember to remove the tarps and replace
the dirt just before you leave. Think medieval ice box, in the original
sense: a box, food, and lots of ice.

And I know what you mean about going offsite; I've tried, for the last
<mumble> Pennsics, to stay on-site as much as possible. The last four
or five, I've succeeded in not going off site once after Land Grab weekend
is over. That's the advantage to being 50 yards from the laundry room;
I can get up, have a bit of breakfast, and still get to the washers and dryers
before The Line shows up <grin>, thus obviating the need to go into town
to clean my garb.

Hmmm. Maybe we should get into a thread about medieval vegetable
preservation techniques? And whether or not they had cold cellars, for
long-term storage of things like onions and carrots and whatnots?

Alban