[Sca-cooks] Lemon Syrup?

Gwynydd Of Culloden gwynydd_of_culloden at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 12:49:06 PDT 2001

> > Has anyone ever made lemon syrup for drinks from 'reconstituted lemon
> > juice'?

While I have never used the "RealLemon" product being mentioned here, I make
huge amounts of Lemon Syrope (as I label it - based on the recipe in the
Miscellany except that I use bottled lemon juice not fresh squeezed) using
bottled, refrigerate-after-opening lemon juice.  I find it to be very good
and I have had no adverse comments from consumers.  I have only used fresh
lemons once and I think they were too young; the syrup was less than
successful.  One day I might have another go at fresh juice, but the bottled
stuff is so convenient and cheap that I have no real reason to do so.

I use a variety of brands and this ingredient list is fairly much standard
for all of them (I add this simply because it is possible that there are
major differences between what I have available here in Tasmania and what is
available in the States).

"Reconstituted lemon juice, preservative (223), water added, 99.9% lemon
juice".  When I make it to sell, I always include this information on the
label - some brands use 2 preservative numbers, so I alter the labels
depending on what I am using.

> > Do you mix it equal parts with sugar, and heat?

I make it following the instructions in the Miscellany; equal VOLUME juice
and sugar (i.e. cup for cup) mixed together and brought to a boil.  Boil for
30 minutes.  This keeps without refrigeration here for ages (months - at
least a year, in my experience).  I think that the "cotton" like lumps which
someone else mentioned may be something which has happened to my rose and
sekanjabin syrups.  From a discussion on the List some time back, I think it
might have something to do with the specific gravity of the solution (I
could be misremembering), however, it doesn't do any harm and simply soaking
the bottle of syrup in hot water returns it to its liquid form.  I have
never had this happen to the lemon.  If your syrup does this, I would
suggest trying this before ditching it.  This stuff, as I said, seems to
keep for ages without refrigeration here in Tasmania.  I keep a small supply
in the 'fridge so that it is cold when one wants to use it, but it does not
seem to be necessary.

Gwynydd of Culloden