[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 24 23:38:44 PDT 2001

> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:
> > > At least consider a secondary section of lemon water.  Then people who
> >  > do not have a choice due to health considerations will have at least
> >  > *some* variety.
> >
> >  They always have a choice. They can drink coffee. They can also make their
> >  own orangeade by squeezing the quartered oranges into their water.
>
> Generally people who have special health considerations also tend to think
> for themselves and bring something with them that suits their special needs
> if they want it...

But sometimes those of us who can't drink the sugared drinks do
appreciate someone who makes something we can drink. I remember, and
greatly appreciate, Bear's providing me with a pitcher of a sugar-free
version of the lemonade he was providing for the feast. It had been
years since I had had fresh, squeezed lemonade that I could drink.

Personally, I find using an artifical sweetener in such a drink to
be much less glaringly modern than providing coffee, whose use at a
medieval or even period feast is questionable and quite obvious due to
its color and aroma.

Even with things like tea, it is nice to offer a non-sweetened version
and let folks add their sweetener of choice. This also alows those
who find most pre-sweetened teas to be too sweet to still enjoy drinking
it.

I do think that if leaving out the sugar impacts the texture of the
drink, such as perhaps some sugar syrup drinks, then it should not
be left out until the feast table or at least consideration should
be made in providing a sugar and sugar-substitute version.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net