[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Wed Jul 25 04:18:09 PDT 2001

"Cindy M. Renfrow" schrieb:

> Here are some more words for you to mull over:
> coq  (French)

Lit. 'cock'. Used in cooking to describe chickens
in certain dishes (usually when prepared as whole
birds). Dishes named 'coq' as in 'coq au vin'
often involve slow boiling or braising. According
to the Larousse Gastronomique, this is because
cocks would be kept as breeders and therefore not
be slaightered until they were very old and tough.
I doubt this last assertion as hens, too, were
often kept for eggs anmd only killed once they
stopped laying.

> marzipan

A paste prepared from ground blanched almonds,
sugar and liquid (in modern recipes usually
rosewater, though fruit spirits are often used to
add different flavors). The word 'marcipan'
probably originates in Italy, where one etymology
traces it to the Venetian feast in honor of St.
another one argues that 'Marci Pan = bread of
March', holding the term to go back as far as
Roman times. Marzipan can be prepared as a cold
paste or heated during mixing to achieve a thicker
consistency. It was served cold or warm, often
baked with spices or glazed fruit. Modern
confectioners often combine it with chocolate.

Two 16th century recipes I have on hand give a
propoertion of 1:1 for almonds and sugar, and this
appears to have survived (a 1950s cookbook given
much the same for Lubeck Marzpian).

> mirabolans, malacadonians
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To preserve Mirabolans or
> Malacadonians...Take your Malacadonians, stone them ...

Could those be mirabelles? It certainly is how I
would start working with mirabelles.

> rowle spoone =
> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Muskadine Comfits...
> some cut with a rowle spoone on the sides...

Could this mean a rowel/rowelled spoon? That would
logically be one with a saw-toothed or spiked
edge. I'm guessing at etymology here, though.

Hoping to have been of assistance

Giano