[Sca-cooks] Splenda

Philip Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 25 13:37:52 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 03:44, Ted Eisenstein wrote:
> >So, I'm curious, I know that diabetics still have to watch for forms of
> >sugar like fructose and sucrose - is Splenda one of those types of things?
> >Or can diabetics use it more like an artificial sweetner?
>
> It depends on which diabetic you ask. . . <grin>
> I _think_ there's just a tad of sucrose? fructose? in it, which means that
> some diabetics won't touch it with a ten-foot cooking pan, but others
> don't mind it at all because it's better for them than normal sugar.
> In other words, mileage may vary.

I can't address the diabetic issue, but I can tell you that the dry Splenda
is a powder looking vaguely like detergent, and it has maltodextrin added to
it to give it a vaguely crystalline structure. The liquid looks like water,
and seems to contain water, sucralose, citric acid and some kind of
preservative.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com