[Sca-cooks] Re: Curry spices & rancid meat

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 25 16:15:26 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<SNIP >>> It arrived, and it stank!  Out of curiousity, my dad tasted a bite, exclaimed it was rotten.  One of the two senegalese friends tasted it too, said "Yep, it's a little old", reached for the "Pili pili" (which is a chili sauce that's pretty potent).  He finished the dish.

So I'm not sure that the "covering-the-rotten-taste theory " is all that specious :-)   >>>>>>

This story is quite believable to me.  I do refer to it, however, as anecdotal evidence ( a singular report of what one person did on one occasion), and is likely the type of support for the theory when it first propogated back when we thought that protons and neutons were the smallest (read 'only') subatomic particals and Nixon was Vice President.

Now we have far more information in our base, and much better research technique to rely on, and we have successfully impeached a president in the three+ decades since.  Time passes, we gather more information, we find out there are eptons and smaller, and we find out that the world revolves around the sun, but we cannot get past the rotted meat theory of spicing.

I still say to leave a chicken breast on your dashboard for three days and tell whoever loves that theory of spices covering up rotted flesh to give you a list of spices that will make them able to choke that funky chicken meat down and keep it down.  If they did it then, we should be able to successfully accomplish it now just as easily.  Science in action . . . the Ras way . . . . do it and find out if it works.  I am 4 for 4 in refusals and conversions using this sermon.  (disclaimer:  do NOT actually let someone try to eat the chicken as it is only meant as a demonstration fo the silliness of the assertion that spices make fettid flesh edible).

niccolo difrancesco