[Sca-cooks] OT: Trip to Ireland

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Tue Jul 31 11:54:03 PDT 2001

upon a time I had a link to Ireland's cell phones, that I could "prepay" one
to use while there. Best to have as you B&B about, call ahead by 1 PM to
have that night's stay fixed and reserved. Lunch is FINISHED by 2 PM, carry
a poly cooler if you need snacks/drinks. get a 4 door hatch back to carry
all your goodies; even if just two people.  AAA [ state side] has the best
maps ! I bring several to trade for the local survey books.  Kinsale - stay
at Acton's, nice pool and singers in the pub.[ but you're a week too early
for the art festival there, 22-30 Sept]. Donegal - step dancing in the
pub[s], was Wed nights. And before you leave Shannon, try Bunratty castle
quote:The castle was built in the early 1400's by the McNamara family, but
fell shortly afterwards to the O'Briens, kings of Thomond, who controlled
the castle until the 17th century. Admiral Penn, father of William Penn,
resided here for a short time.
Today, the castle's Great Hall hold a very fine collection of 14th to 18th
century furniture, paintings, and wall hangings. The Great Hall also hosts
"medieval banquets" complete with maids playing the harp, court jesters,
food a la the middle ages, and mead (a honey wine favoured by the Irish in
the middle ages).
http://www.historic.irishcastles.com/bunratty.htm
a good "feast" can be had after visiting the village outside the castle. The
mead is worth a 'try'.

best Museum 1999  Waterford Treasures
http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/mainpage.html
lots of general -local info
http://www.iol.ie/~discover/welcome3.htm

and for the food content:
Traditional Brown Bread [ I add raisins]
http://www.iol.ie/~discover/recipe.htm

Say hi to gramp's for me. Lord Morton of Morton parish, C.Cork.
Ru