[Sca-cooks] OTOTOTOT: the po' boy sandwich

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 6 07:08:39 PDT 2001

Hullo, the list!

For various complex reasons, and in spite of there being no "r" in the
month name, I had occasion to sample a po' boy sandwich from the Grand
Central Oyster Bar (one of the great seafood-worshipping temples of the
western world) yesterday. The form that this took was as a whole lot of
fried oysters which had been previously rolled in seasoned cornmeal (or
maybe a mix of cornmeal and cracker crumbs) on a large Kaiser-like roll
with what appeared to be mayo and cole slaw. It may have been some kind
of remoulade or tartar sauce, but when combined with cole slaw, it's
hard to tell. Also, since my lady wife ordered this in my absence, I
don't know if this is the standard item as normally prepared and served.

I was wondering if perhaps some of this list's Louisiana or Chesapeake
Bay po'-boy aficionados might be prepared to submit their sense of how
well my experience jibes with their versions of local orthodoxy. It
should be noted, though, that New York has a perfectly viable and
ancient oyster-sandwich-eating tradition (I am a huge fan of the fried
oyster club sandwich, for example), as well as some of the finest
oysters on earth, so local tradition here, when varying with tradition
elsewhere, must be regarded merely as different, and not necessarily
evil ;  ) .

So, what goes into a po'-boy where you are?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com