[Sca-cooks] black cardamom

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 15:00:42 PDT 2001

Hello the List!

Since we started trying to find grains of paradise here (names were just
about impossible;  neither of the Arabic ones mentioned by the very useful
German web page were any help - the local name is Tin Fil, and they're
*&%^ed expensive, as they're used medicinally) we've discovered a brown
cardamom (about 1.5 cm) used by Indians and Nepalis and a black cardamom,
about 2 cm, used by Ethiopians.  I forget what the use name and the Linnaean
names of the Ethiopian one are, but if anyone really needs to know, please
email me privately, as I don't get to check the lists very much at present.

We've also discovered that long pepper is used medicinally (expensive) by
the Bedouin and culinarily (copious and cheap) by the Ethiopians, who call
it Tuai-tuai.

2 days before I gave birth we stayed with a Mizrahi family in Haifa, and the
mother explained all sorts of flavourings I hadn't experimented with yet but
had seen in the market, from dried whole (black) citrus to rose buds.  Pity
everything went completely out of my mind before I got to write it all
down...

Cairistiona