[Sca-cooks] Summer period desserts

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 30 20:29:40 PDT 2001

I'd love to have the reference/bibliographic info on that assertion.  As others will point out, our collective memory here ascribes such ice based sweets to the Italian 1500's.  Any other information with reference would be gleefully received.  modern Magazines, however are too often not so scholastically structured as to do extensive research on their assertions.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Greetings all!
In reading one of my modern culinary subscribtions, I read that Gelato, and
various forms of granita go all the way back to the Roman Empire. That could
work for anyone planning a summer feast with  limited space. As long as you
have an adequate freezer, there's no reason why you couldn't make a large
batch, freeze, scoop and re-freeze. Your portion control could be any size
scoop(s) you want, you could do the same with sorbets or sherbets as well.
Just an idea.

Finnebhir