[Sca-cooks] medieval restaurant

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Sat Jun 2 16:48:36 PDT 2001

> How would you run it?  What food would you serve?  What difficulties would
you expect to face?
> I think if I were doing it, I'd decorate the place somewhat medievally but
not pretend to be a medieval castle in any way. <

    I would do the "great hall"  theme.  Long(ish) rectangular tables set
about,   large tapestries on the walls,  the arches,  more towards that
medievaloid look.   The servers in Tunics/ blauits/tabards.  That "oomph"
that separates a quality restuarant from the others:  Dignified Elegance.

    Menu might be a bit harder  -- I'd like to do what I've heard of long
ago family-owned restuarants,  where the menu for the day was printed out,
two or three choices only, but a good wide range of various things prepared,
ready for service.  Not knowing how it's done in actuality,  having nites be
"speciality" nights:  French,  German, etc.

> I imagine one of the problems with starting up a restaurant like that
would be differentiating oneself from the theme restaurants with the wenches
and the jesters and so on. <

    Just the fact you are serving food from medieval manuscripts makes the
theme:  not the gaudy show gimmicks.   Good service, good food,  {Dignified
Elegance} that kind of thing  would make your difference.

    Caointiarn