[Sca-cooks] Need the wording for Garlic Jance

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Jun 4 15:25:23 PDT 2001

> > I've never made it, but I'd start my experiments with a small bell of
> > ginger, four large cloves of garlic, a cup of ground almonds, and two
> > cups of verjuice.  Soak an hour or so, then reduce to a good thickness.
> >
> >   I'll be interested to see if that guess is anywhere close to what
> >   Christine says works.

> Your amounts seem pretty accurate.  I made a huge batch - I started with 4
> pounds of almonds, 3 pounds of peeled garlic cloves, and two large knobs of
> ginger.  I used a liter bottle of white wine, and about 750 ml of white wine
> vinegar.

I don't think my amount predictions managed "pretty accurate".  Doing
some conversions and weighing and so on, and scaling your recipe down
to 1 cup of ground almonds, it looks as though you use about:

a small quantity of ginger
12 large cloves of garlic (I would have used far too little garlic)
1 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup verjuice (I would have used far too much verjuice)

Thorvald