[Sca-cooks] Danish Cookbook of 1616 - Question on Mead recipe

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Jun 4 21:44:51 PDT 2001

>Drake asks:
>
>(more mead from Drake! that's got to be good. we finished the two
>bottles you sent over with us, and a good time was had by all. I must
>admit though that we all preferred the Muscovite Ambassador's brew.)
>
>>With the Danish Cookbook's mead recipe on Sat 4 Mar 2000, it mentions the
>>recipe for a full Barrel of Mead.  Anyone have any idea how big a Danish Barrel
>>was? I have a good idea on sizes in Tudor England, but Danish.  Bugger all
>>idea, I'm afraid.  Can someone help?
>
>>Can someone also send me the original danish text and the full citation for the
>>cookbook if they can?  I would be keen to have it for my notes.
>
>I got my copy mail order from the national museum of denmark, at
>http://www.natmus.dk
>IIRC (I've lost the little dust cover) it's called Danmarks forste
>kogebog or something such, anyway, the shop people will know if you
>ask for the facsimile of the first Danish cookbook from 1616. They're
>very helpful.
>
>you can also find it on the web, it's at
>http://www.notaker.com/onlitxts/kogebog.htm
>although it is of course in Danish. One of these days I'll get around
>to finishing my translation project.
>
>As for the size of the barrel, I have no idea unfortunately.

. . . which reminds me. . . A friend who was over in Finland this past year
brought back for me a small bottle of Cloudberry Liqueur, which is now
the second liqueur I will willlingly drink in quantities over a small sip. If I
should ever get lucky enough to have a bunch of cloudberries dumped into
my kitchen, does anyone have a good recipe for said liqueur?

(They're vaguely related, if I remember correctly, to raspberries; but I am
not sure if a recipe for raspberries would work as well on cloudberries.)

(Are cloudberries even period? Anyone have a good herbal close at hand?
Mine are downstairs.)

Alban