[Sca-cooks] Danish Cookbook of 1616 - Question on Mead recipe

Maggie Forest maggie at forest.gen.nz
Mon Jun 4 22:56:21 PDT 2001

Alban asks:
>. . . which reminds me. . . A friend who was over in Finland this past year
>brought back for me a small bottle of Cloudberry Liqueur, which is now
>the second liqueur I will willlingly drink in quantities over a small sip. If I
>should ever get lucky enough to have a bunch of cloudberries dumped into
>my kitchen, does anyone have a good recipe for said liqueur?

sit berries in sugar. pour alcohol over. forget where you put it. some
time later strain and drink. :-)

then try adding a bit of whiskey to the liqueur for a 'lakka'.

>(They're vaguely related, if I remember correctly, to raspberries; but I am
>not sure if a recipe for raspberries would work as well on cloudberries.)

wild raspberries would be very nice too, but don't know about the
'tame' ones. they're pretty tasteless really.

>(Are cloudberries even period? Anyone have a good herbal close at hand?

the berries grew in scandinavia in period, so <shrug> I've never seen
any recipes for them though.

/maggie

Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,
and just as hard to sleep after - Anne Morrow Lindbergh