[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Apicius ...

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 5 13:00:19 PDT 2001

<< I've heard that there is more than one edition of this
Roman cookbook. >>

Yes, there are editions of the Latin text since the end of the 15th
century. A 1490 edition is online at the Gallica-site of the National
Library in Paris, the 1705 Lister edition is online in the Fons Grewe
collection, Barcelona. Today, there are two or three printed editions
with a reliable Latin text, two of them with a translation [in case you
count a translation into a language other than English]:

-- André, J.: Apicius. L'art culinaire, De re coquinaria. Texte établi,
traduit et commenté par J. André. Paris 1965.

-- Apicii decem libri qui dicuntur De re coquinaria et Excerpta a
vinidario conscripta. Edidit M.E. Milham. Leipzig (Teubner) 1969.

-- Apicius, Marcus Gavius: De re coquinaria. Über die Kochkunst.
Lateinisch/ Deutsch. Hg., übersetzt und kommentiert von R. Maier.
Stuttgart 1991.

In addition, there are at least three different online versions of
Apicius out there: one is based on the Milham text, the other one on the
Maier text, the third I do not know yet.

Thomas II.