[Sca-cooks] pate

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 5 22:02:41 PDT 2001

Ras replied to me with:
>  <<Also meatloaf
>  has something in it like bread crumbs, right? >>
>
> Sometimes. And sometimes oatmeal or rice, ad nauseum. I have a couple of
> cookbooks dedicated exclusively to 'meatloaf recipes in my collection.

So, do these cookbooks include recipes for what folks here have been
describing as "pates"?

> Sometimes it is better to not try to specifically define a dish as being
> specifically this or that as you are apt to try to often do. One man's
> meatloaf is another man's pate or sausage or pudding or whatever. :-)

True. However, unless I want a series of files called meat-dishes1-msg,
meat-dishes2-msg, meat-dishes3-msg or big files that take a long time
to download and to search through, I need to divide things up somehow.
And I would prefer to divide them up in such a way that folks trying
to use them will have an idea of where to look. And yes, I've had recipes
that have caused problems as to whether they should go in the sausage-msg
file, the puddings-msg file or the haggis-msg file or whatever.

Also, I'm trying to get an idea myself of what foods are categorized
as. That way when someone says a recipe is a pate, I have an idea of
what is meant. From this conversation alone, I've found out that not
all pates are the creamy smooth stuff I thought they were.

You and others have argued the differances between Miracle Whip and
Mayonaise. I can't see a lot of differance myself but there sure were
a lot of messages about what was and wasn't in each of them and how
much.

> <<Does pate? >>
>
> Have breadcrumbs? Possibly. I'll have to look through my dozens of pate
> recipes to answer  yeah or nea. Possibly the answer is in the Flori-thingy.

A good case in point. I think I do have one or more period recipes for
pate like things in the Florilegium, but I have no idea where they
might be right now. Or they may not have gotten in there yet, because
I wasn't sure where to put them.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net