[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jun 6 11:24:28 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Nikki McGeary wrote:

> I am interested in planning a vegetarian feast, and
> I'd like to document the occasion as well as the
> dishes.  I thought of advertising it as Lenten feast
> (though the event will most likely not be during Lent)
> or a we-can't-eat-meat-on-Friday theme.  Perhaps in
> the spirit of "doing as they might have done" there
> could be a royal declaration that, due to plague or
> something, no one will eat meat.  Something like that.
>
> Any thoughts?

1. You are asking for a headache!

2. (and more seriously) you could make it a 'heretics's feast'- a number
of heretical sects (most notably the Cathars) espoused vegetarianism.

3. In general though, vegetarianism is a rather modern
concept. Vegetarians in period were either terribly, terribly poor,
invalids who couldn't handle meat, aescetics, heretics, penitents, or
plain crazy. IMHO it is better to learn and understand the period
aesthetic than to try to take a modern ideal and make it fit. Just my
opinion, however.

'Lainie
hey, is there any good beer at the Rock?