[Sca-cooks] Metric calories?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 12 10:40:57 PDT 2001

Steven Weidner wrote:

> I've had this question for a while, and never remembered to ask it until
> now.  Having looked at some european snack foods, ones that weren't labeled
> quite for the American market, I started to think that Europe may not use
> quite the same system for counting calories that we do stateside (obscenely
> higher, perhaps?  something struck me as way off kilter, regardless).  Am I
> just hallucinating horribly, or is there in fact a difference between the
> calculation?

Could they be working in kilocalories, in which case an example would be
that a glass of whole milk would be something like .1 kc?

Calories are, by definition, metric units, as they are based on cc's and
degrees Kelvin, which are the same as Celsius degrees. If there is a
difference in caloric calculation, it ought to be a fairly simple shift.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com