[Sca-cooks] Re: holding doors

Craig Jones & Melissa Hicks meliora at asiaonline.net.au
Tue Jun 12 15:06:57 PDT 2001

Vicente,

> No, we're not.  I once met a woman who steadfastly refused to
> walk through
> any door held open for her.  Considered it demeaning.

Oh you've met my work colleague.  Apparently I'm putting women's lib back 50
years by allowing men to open the door for me.  As stated, I didn't even
notice I was doing it.

> Personally, I was
> brought up to hold doors for everybody.  Some men get a bit
> disconcerted by
> this, and wave me through.  I just stand there and say, "I'm
> the one with
> the door. Get in there!"

I try that and the men still refuse ......

I think my work situation is exacerbated by the fact that all my colleagues
are female but all of my direct bosses (at all levels) are male.  Add in the
fact that I known for being a little umm "assertive" at times - no wonder
the poor dear got confused.

> Vicente
> (Can consciousness be raised to the point of foolishness?)

Consciousness or conscientiousness?

To drag this slightly back on topic, all of these rules of manners are
irrelevant when one person is carrying a tray of food right?  Regardless of
the genders?

Mel - who is now off to study for her exam this afternoon (then that's
another semester over - YAY!)