[Sca-cooks] Glossary submission?

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Sun Jun 17 17:41:46 PDT 2001

<< I don't know if this holds true in the German, but in the French,
Italian, Spanish and Catalan, the word that translates to English as
"in" may also translate to English as "on" or "about", depending on the
context. For example, from the Catalan, "en la olla" translates as "in
the pot" while "en ast" means "on the spit" or "spit-roasted" depending
on how it's used. >>

Thanks a lot, Master Thomas, for pointing to the Catalan _en ast_ !

Looking at the Catalan De Nola and at the text of Sent Sovi, it seems
that _en ast_ is used quite frequently, both in cases where something is
already on (upon?) the spit (mig rostits en ast) and where one must put
something upon the spit (e met la en ast). In German, the use of "in" in
respect to spits is very strange, normally one says "am Spieß" or "an
den Spieß". Similarly, as far as I can see (as a non-native speaker and
writer of English), "on" or "upon" are commonly used in respect to spits
in English. Perhaps I should have said that, as far as I can see, in
Latin "ad spitonem" is more frequently used than "in spitone" etc. ...

BUT: my purpose was to say that "in" and its counterparts were not
wholly unheard of in respect to spits.

Thus, the use of "in" in the ENGLISH recipe _IS_ strange, as far as I
can see, and the question, Stefan put forward, was a very good one!

What I was trying to say is: the interpretation of the passage under
discussion in the sense of 'spit' can be defended, if one assumes that
some foreign (French, Romance) influence has taken place, where the
counterparts of "in" are well established (e.g. French _en broche_,
Catalan _en ast_).

Thanks again,

Thomas II