[Sca-cooks] what is your project?

Jane M & Bj Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 22 11:22:52 PDT 2001

On the list someone mentioned the Vikings did preserve their meat by putting
it in casks, packing in weay and bearing it.

I  thought this sounded interesting and decided to try it, entering my
results in our kingdoms arts pentathlon.

First I had troubles finding that much weay that wasn't dried.  You know
clerks in stores really give you funny looks when ask for a quart of the
stuff.

Then I found I could not afford wood casks,  a small one was $60.00.  So I
decided to use Tupperware.

So I burred one in my backyard in a place that the sun never gets to and is
always very cool.  I also placed one in the freezer, permafrost I thought.

Our neighbors dog jumped our 6 foot fence, dug up my project and at it weay
and all.  He lived.

My daughter took the one in the freezer out, tasted it  and through it out.
It seems she thought it was the left over homemade ice-cream and that it had
gone bad.  She lived.  So much for a cooking entree.  I guess I'll grind up
my little bugs and make paint.

Jana