SC - On Vigil

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Mar 26 08:38:49 PST 2001

> I was thinking having it spiral sliced lengthwise, so it will
> be a flat piece.
> Then putting on the dressing and rolling it up like a
> jellyroll, tying and
> baking.  The slices would then contain both meat and
> dressing.  I've seen this
> done with flat cuts of beef and it is impressive.

Rouladen.  I occasionally do rinder rouladen (beef rolls) with thin filets.
IIRC, there are a couple of recipes for beef rolls from within period, but I
don't remember any for pork.

> This helps.  Let me know when you see tenderloin on sale.
> I'd like to stock up
> for myself, as well as have ingredients on hand for
> experimentation purposes.

There was a 2-day sale on pork tenderloin at Albertson's this weekend for
about $2/lb, which is often a precursor to a general drop in pork prices.
You might keep an eye on the local IGAs or a good butcher, if you have one
in Stillwater.  They tend to purchase locally, so you get the best rates
when the pig farms out in the western part of the state slaughter the excess
they can't sell to the national meat packers and dump the meat on the local
market.

> In a few months, probably June, I plan to set up a "run
> through" for my proposed
> feast menu.  I'll be inviting you and Margarite up to take
> part.
>
> Liadan

Keep us posted.  We are involved with Med-faire and Beltane, so we should be
around for the next couple of months.  Although we may slip in one little
trip to New Mexico, if there is a spring event in St. Golias which doesn't
conflict.

Bear