[Sca-cooks] RE: Carbohydrates, and Lactose

solstice at moscow.com solstice at moscow.com
Sun May 6 10:32:07 PDT 2001

> > Specifically, what is its carbohydrate profile?  I'm
> > on a moderated carb
> > diet,

I am highly glucose inntolerant and must be very careful about eating of carbs
at any time.  I am tired of adding and subtracting numbers :) But I thought I
would toss in a bit.

I have found that dairy products have a different result than other forms of
carbohydrate. The reason for this is that the Lactose molecular chain is shaped
really strangely, so that while it is indeed a sugar, it is not metabolised
like any other starch or sugar.  So, a glass of milk with 12 grams of
Carbohydrates is NOT the same as a piece of bread or fruit or candy with 12
grams of sugar.   I have found that I can eat moderate amounts of milk, cheese,
yogurt, and etc with no ill effects to my blood glucose levels, which is good
because they are very handy and fairly light snacks.

You probably already know, but I shall mention it anyhow just in case, that you
can also subtract from the carbohyrdate numbers the amount of fiber and fat in
a dish. The fat and fiber both slow down the absorbtion of the carbohydrates as
well as providing a more long term digestive hunger abater.  So if you drink
whole milk, you get less of the carbs because the fat and protien of the milk
add to its digestive value.  So you can modify a lot of foods to low carb (or
better glycemically carbed) by adding fiber and fat to the dish in substition
or addition.

:)

Lady
Aleska