[Sca-cooks] Semmel

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 07:42:43 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor said:
> > --- Michael Newton <melcnewt at netins.net> wrote:
> > > While reading Sabrina Welserin, I keep coming
> across
> > > the the term, a grated
> > > Semmel.
> >
> > Semmel is a yeast bread made with malt flour,
> wheat
> > flour, and sometimes dried sourdough bread crumbs.
>  It
> > is used in the recipe as a panade, or to thicken
> the
> > pudding.
>
> Ok, are you speaking about 'now' or before 1600 on
> this?

I am referring to pre-1600.  In the Welser recipe,
it's fairly clear that some type of bread is being
used to give body to the pudding... the Semmel is
being grated into it to thicken it.  If I am not
mistaken, there is a Semmel recipe later in the same
manual, though I have not made that one.

Or, were you questioning whether Semmel was made of
malted flour in pre-1600's??  I'm not sure.  I do know
that it, in this recipe, at least, it is a yeast
bread, and not a cake.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.