[Sca-cooks] Period gardening (was easy to grow herbs)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 9 06:35:22 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/9/01 2:21:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<<  I get the feeling I'm being accused of doing something wrong, but I'm not
sure what. >>

Not really. I was just reminding folks that there are alternatives. For
instance, a look in the illustrations in the Tacuinum Sanitatis will give  an
indication of not only container possibilities  but also example  crops grown
in containers, garden design/planting grid ideas for specific crops, garden
enclosure design and even harvesting and storage methods. For instance leeks
seem to have been bundled in  clumps of 5-6 (not inconsistance with modern
leek  handling).

I happen to use period gardening techniques because they  grow
tastier/poison-free crops. Often times we tend to wander off into Mundania
when  any particular subject comes up, which in itself is not necessarily
bad, but I do think it is prudent to remind folks oin general that period
methods are often times accessible and doable exspecially when those
subjuects are in my own field of interest.

Since my original post was designed to talk about period gardening, etc. (as
I am  prone to do this time of the year since I practise it as much as
possible outside the SCA and think others can enjoy the benefits of period
ORGANIC methods as well). I see no harm in  at least trying to bring the
conversation back around to period methods. Such methods and techniques can
also create beautiful landscaping scenarios which is great considering the
current welcome trend in American landscaping to get away from the flat green
lawn look and actually turn their  leisure space into beautiful gartden areas
and rooms.

I am sorry if it seems as if I was picking on you. My comments are always
intended to be nonpersonal. As I have relayed numerous times, I do NOT check
to see who has written any particular post to this list until AFTER I have
addressed any comments I wish to make to the list about the content of any
given post. Oftentimes I check after I have mailed a responce but NOT
generally before.

Ras