[Sca-cooks] Semmel

Sun May 6 15:56:27 PDT 2001

Semmel is a small white roll made from fine flour.  Valois Armstrong, who
did this translation has translated Semmelmehl as being "grated Semmel."
However, Semmelmehl in general means "fine, white meal or flour," as has
been previously pointed out by Thomas Gloning.

The word derives from the Latin, "simila" meaning "fine flour."

Simnels, which are now crisp cakes with a marzipan topping, derived from an
earlier version which had a marzipan filling, and may be derived from a fine
loaf of enriched bread, although this last derivation is pure speculation at
this time.  The name also derives from "simila."

Bear