[Sca-cooks] Semmel

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Sun May 6 17:31:07 PDT 2001

<< [1] Valoise Armstrong, who did this translation has translated
Semmelmehl as being "grated Semmel." [2] However, Semmelmehl in general
means "fine, white meal or flour," as has been previously pointed out
... >>

Re [1]: _grated semmel_ is rather the translation for German _geribne
semel_ in #37, #43, #46, #47, #72, #97 of Sabina Welser's cookbook.
(http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/sawe.htm for the German text)

Re [2]: _semelmell_ is a different case; sure, in general it means
"fine, white meal or flour (from which the semmels are made)"; however,
in a combination like _geriben semelmell_ (#44) I am inclined for the
moment to think that very finely grated semmels are meant. It depends.

Th.
(PS while we're on it: Sabrina or Sabina? -- Sabrina_Welserin.html (with
r) is the name of the FILE with the english translation. The name of the
PERSON is Sabina (without r) Welser/Welserin. Thus, talking to a
computer to request the file, don't leave out the "r". Speaking to
humans about the person Sabina Welser you can simply write "Sabina
Welser/Welserin".)