[Sca-cooks] Re: easy to grow herbs

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue May 8 06:51:58 PDT 2001

> For those who have limited space and wish to grow herbs useful in period
> cookery, etc. which are not generally available year round or otherwise I
> would suggest the following: Hyssop, lamb's ears, lemon balm, lovage,
> gilliflower, nigella (love in a mist), marshmallow.

I wouldn't suggest planting either lovage or marshmallow if you've got limited space,
both grow quite large-- lovage gets to be about 6 feet tall. Angelica, which is hard to
get in stores, is a bit smaller but neither are great pot plants. On the other hand,
Gilliflowers (sold as 'pinks') are a good investment. Nigella is used in the seed as far
as I know, and that can be obtained from the Pepperer's guild in useful quantities-- if
you have only a small amount of space anise is pretty much the only seed-bearing plant
that has a high enough yield ratio to be worth it.

I'm dying of curiousity, though: I have one lemon-balm recipe (a tansy to be fed to the
post-partuient) but no recipes with lamb's ears... can you list some recipes with the
items above.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net