[Sca-cooks] Period gardening

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu May 10 16:21:28 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/10/01 2:13:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jugglethis at yahoo.com writes:

<< Someone had suggested hanging a wreath of
 marigold around the neck, which, I believe, was said
 to have been done in medieval Europe (??)   >>

The plant known in the middle ages as 'marigold' is calendula. It has no
odor, is very edible and has no insect repellent qualities that I am aware
of. French and African marigolds are New World plants which are odiferous and
are reputed to be very helpful in  repelling insects. I am wondering if the
bug repellent properties of  pot marigolds is really a twisted tale which
incorrectly atttributes the  European plant with the  attributes of the new
world plant simply because the name is the same?

Ras