[Sca-cooks] Period gardening

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu May 10 16:36:07 PDT 2001

> The plant known in the middle ages as 'marigold' is calendula. It has no
> odor, is very edible and has no insect repellent qualities that I am aware
> of. French and African marigolds are New World plants which are odiferous and
> are reputed to be very helpful in  repelling insects. I am wondering if the
> bug repellent properties of  pot marigolds is really a twisted tale which
> incorrectly atttributes the  European plant with the  attributes of the new
> world plant simply because the name is the same?

Ras, thank you for putting your finger on my mistake. Pot marigolds and
French Marigolds are NOT the same... Calendula is the pot marigold;
The French Marigold is Tagetes. DUH!!!!! Sorry for giving wrong
information.

Ras has a good question. Those of you who are using marigolds for insect
repellent, do you know if they are Calendula or Tagetes?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net