[Sca-cooks] Strawberry Recipes?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri May 11 06:14:19 PDT 2001

I believe someone else mentioned this recipe, and, having made it, immediately remembered it.  The version I have comes from a book published by folks in the Midrealm, and edited by Duchess Caellyn Fitzhugh:

A Tarte of Strawberries

1 qt. strawberries
1/2 C. red wine
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. each ginger, cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 baked single pie crust shell

Wash and stem the strawberries; drain.  Heat wine, sugar, spices, dissolve the cornstarch in a little cold wine and add to the mixture.  Simmer until thick.  Arrange the berries in the baked shell and pour syrup ovr them.  Chill, garnish and serve.

This came from Sallets, Humbles and Shrewsbery Cakes.  Now I know that the cornstarch isn't period, but you could use ground bread crumbs instead.  I have no idea what the original recipe looked like, as it's not given in ths source.  What we did was to make the strawberry part of this and use it as a garnish on
Darioles...this has become known as a signature dish for our barony as our livery is red and white!  The recipe is periodoid, especially if you substitute a more period thickener, but it is quite tasty and allows you to retain the beauty of the fresh strawberries!

Kiri