[Sca-cooks] Strawberry Recipes?

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Fri May 11 07:36:12 PDT 2001

Maire said:
>There's a period recipe somewhere (too early in a.m. for me to remember
>which cookbook <g>) that's a strawberry tart...I've never made it, by
>I've seen it done.  IIRC, there's a pie crust, and the fresh straberries
>are cut in half (?), and placed in the crust, and you pour red wine (or
>a wine-based syrup?) over them and bake them....

I've made this - it's a German recipe, think it's Sabina Welserin <brief
pause while I check>.... yup.  Recipe from the translation by Valoise
Armstrong:

89 To make a strawberry tart
Make a pastry shell and let it become firm in the tart pan.  Afterwards
take strawberries and lay them around on top as close together as possible,
after that sweeten them especially well.  Next let it bake a short while,
pour Malavosia over it and let it bake a while, then it is ready.

The Shire _inhaled_ this when I cooked it for a feast - it vanished in
record time.  The sugar and Malavozsia (I think I used sherry) make a sort
of syrup, but it still tends to be a fairly liquid filling.  Lovely flavour.

JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin)
Chronicler, Shire of Adamastor, South Africa
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.