[Sca-cooks] Skyr? and intro

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Fri May 11 06:49:00 PDT 2001

John and Helen Brinsmead <the_brinsmeads at dingoblue.net.au> [2001.05.11] wrote:

> adventurous in the kitchen cooking for the family, so am learning on
> two fronts, thanks in advance for the info.  Joined in just as Mister
> Evil Admin gave his piece -- awww, what a great note to come in on.

No such things as too much learning, and this is a great place to learn.

> OK, straight into the hard stuff - Ulfr is talking of skyr and
> unfortunately the enhanced ASCII chars aren't coming through -

That's fine. I and Nanna tend to use ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1), since it
covers all the funky characters we like to use every now and then. If it
turns out to be a manjor annoyance to lots of people at least I can try
to transcribe things, but that is a loss of information...

Skyr is a form of fresh cheese that is mentioned in the Icelandic Sagas,
and still eaten on Iceland. Nanna, being the lucky one, lives on Iceland
where she can get hold of what is the real thing, baring any
evolution/changes that hs taken place over the last 1000 years. Here in
Sweden I have to make do with a substitute, which is the yogurt cheese.
Basically take a suitably tart yogurt, and let it drain from a thin fabric
bag.

ISTR that Nanna has earlier posted direction for how to make the
real thing, but you would need access to a live culture to do
that.

/UlfR

--
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)