[Sca-cooks] squash recipes

Thu May 17 15:13:54 PDT 2001

Gourds have round stems and the stems in the picture are ribbed (a feature
found in the Cucurbita and a point used in determining species).  The squash
in the painting closely resemble the Japanese pumpkin.  Other sources have
identified them as squash, so I'm comfortable with the identification.

There is a second rather large pumpkin shaped fruit in the picture, but the
stem is hidden under a plate placed upon it, so it may be either a pumpkin
or a basket gourd.

Still Life with Fruit, which I believe is a Carravagio from roughly the same
period has a more gourd-like fruit which can be identified as a squash.

Bear