[Sca-cooks] Pottery for Cooking/Eating

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon May 21 06:47:14 PDT 2001

hiya!

I routinely use pottery in my period encampment. There is a wonderful local
SCA potter who makes the worlds cutest pipkins (the little three footed
clay pots with handles) and I'm currently "UL testing" one of them for her
(ie being really mean to it...how much can it handle?). You can also buy
extensively field tested pipkins and pots copied from extant examples from
Historic Enterprises online (www.historicenterprises.com).

I've found they work great even directly in the fire if you do the following:
1. make your fire. Let it get to coals.
2. Stick your pipkin right next to the fire
3. after a bit, go ahead and move it in closer if you need to.

the clay is fired under VERY hot temperatures and didnt discomboobleate
then, so it can easily handle the temps from a cooking fire, but introduce
it gradually and let it cool gradually (ie dont drop it super hot into cold
water). I usually end up with mine nestled very happily in the middle of
the glowing coal bed, but only after a gradual introduction. It transmits
and retains heat really well, so you dont usually even need to get it in
the red hot zone!

what would break it, I think, is the sudden shock. Give it time to get used
to the heatn and you should be fine!

--Anne-Marie, who thinks nothings better for camp fondue than a clay pipkin :)