[Sca-cooks] Re:Pottery for Cooking/Eating

Lisbeth Herr-Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon May 21 20:12:33 PDT 2001

I wonder how this differs from the type of clay used by native Americans. I recall a demo at Jamestown (near Williamsburg) of native cooking using those acorn-shaped pots (a rounded point is placed in a hollow next to the coals and the coals heaped up around the base of the clay pot).

Throwing pots is one of those things I've always wanted to try but don't have the time to devote.

Sigh.

Aoife

Glenda wrote:
The Romans used pottery over coals. It was a special one, called E-ware,
Samian ware and red ware. That type's so tough that if it breaks, you can
rivet it back together (I have pictures in a book somewhere).

Gee I'd like to get my hands on some of this clay! My MIL's a potter, and
I'll get her to do some for me when she gives up her day job (if we can get
our hands on the clay - thankfully I know an expert on this type of pottery,
who should be able to put me on to a supplier.

"History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History
is who we are and why we are the way we are." -David
McCullough

"History is a vast early warning system."-Norman
Cousins

"History is the record of an encounter between character
and circumstance." -Donald Creighton