[Sca-cooks] Re:Pottery for Cooking/Eating

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon May 21 23:16:37 PDT 2001

>I wonder how this differs from the type of clay used by native Americans. I
>recall a demo at Jamestown (near Williamsburg) of native cooking using
>those acorn-shaped pots (a rounded point is placed in a hollow next to the
>coals and the coals heaped up around the base of the clay pot).

hmmm, how'd I miss these.  Don't even recall seeing them 'around' but it's
been a couple of years and I didn't know to look for them of course.

At Williamsburg I saw a guy cooking with glazed pottery at the edge of the
coals.  He was melting butter into a batter (for no better reason than he
forgot to soften it enough to beat in the way he should have) but trying not
to cook the batter. The bowl was wide and shallow, he had just a few coals
around but not touching, and was stirring and stirring as a pound of butter
slowle melted down.  We chatted about it and agreed that the batter looked
about normal with the melted butter stirred in, that he'd managed not to
curdle the eggs, but still, would it bake up alright?  I couldn't stay long
enough to see how it turned out though.

And back to the original question of the thread:

Lady Clere Hele, in Kappelenberg, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia, had been
experimenting with pottery 3 legged pots for cooking last year. Glazed on
the inside, unglazed on the outside, I think.  And where you put the handle
is important.  She is the sort to research rather well and you might want to
track her down to chat about it. If you can't find her down through the
kingdom, barony or canton webpages, e-mail me and I can get contact info.

Bonne