[Sca-cooks] clay fondue pot

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed May 23 10:02:59 PDT 2001

Anne-Marie Rousseau said:
> re: the original text for the la Varenne ramekins of cheese....the text is in
> the CA I did, as well as the complete anachronist on French Food (basically we
> reissued it without the constraints of the CA system).

Huh? Have you done two CAs (Compleat Anachronists)? Reissued which one?
And where is it available? This does remind me that I wanted the one
on French Food, but since it came out in the month between when my
membership ran out and when I renewed it, I didn't get that CA.

I would be interested in making these (or any) CAs available in the
Florilegium. The authors retain the copyright to these and at this
time I do have one more CA, the one on Mongols, that I will be
making available in the Florilegium as soon as I can get to it.

> here it is again....
>
> Ramequins of Cheese [V#41, p221]
> Take some cheese, melt it with some butter, an onion whole, or stamped, salt
> and pepper in abundance, spread all upon bread, pass the fire shovel over it
> red hot, and serve it warme.

Thanks for the recipe. It looks like it has another entry for our
glossary, though. What does it mean by "stamped"? Chopped? Crushed?
And how would you use a whole onion?

Also, has anyone here actually tried the bit with the hot fire shovel,
as opposed to sticking it under a broiler? How well did it work? How
long did it take?

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net