[Sca-cooks] breast question

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 31 11:12:54 PDT 2001

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 31-May-101 [Sca-cooks] breast
question by alm4 at cornell.edu
> I have a question about waste vs. cost.....of chicken breasts.
>
> I have two choices:
>
>    buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts for $1.79-$1.99/lb
>
>     or buy chicken breasts with bones and skins (no backs or  ribs) for
> $.99/lb.
>

> I have at least two people that can bone these in no time flat, so this
> is just a waste question.  If it was other cuts of chicken I would buy
> the boneless, but the breast doesn't really have much of a bone.
> Although the skin could be a lot of weight?

Depends on what other things you're doing.  If you are also planning on
buying chicken broth/boillion, then get the bones/skins and some extra
breasts, cause you can use them to make broth that's a lot tastier and
cheaper than anything you can buy at the store.

If you have nothing that requires broth, then it shouldn't make that
much difference, although you'll probably come out slightly ahead with
boning stuff yourself.

By the way --skinless/boneless around here is usually about $4.50 lb;
frozen during a sale you can sometimes get $2-$2.50 a pound.  Where are
you shopping?

toodles, margaret