[Sca-cooks] Meidieval cooking for modern cooks (in response to the rant)

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Thu Nov 8 08:32:03 PST 2001

Dear Solveig,
I am not responsible for hosting/running/putting forth the suggestion for our Baronial Yule Feast.
The fact that it is a pot-luck was either the decision of those in control of the Barony, or of the Canton to the north that is hosting this event.
Given that the event is a pot-luck I was trying to take this opportunity to teach the many students (and a lot of non-students) in my canton (to whom I am the Deputy A&S) a little about period food and cooking.  I also wanted to avoid the (what seems to me inevitable) appearance of brownies and chocolate cookies on the table.  If everyone who came from the Marche, came with period food I would be very very happy.
And as far as it goes, yes I agree with you, the organizers should have organized feast.  But I was not involved in any of their decisions.  What I can do though is make the best of a bad decision.  Teach medieval cookery to those under my influence and take it from there.
Helewyse de Birkestad
Doing her best to make a tasty dish out of a pigs ear.