[Sca-cooks] Marzipan and Cooking Large (was Pt. 1 - Medieval Persian Iron Chef)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 18 18:03:21 PST 2001

Vittoria <phoenissa at netscape.net> wrote:
>Well, I was happy to help out.  It was a lot of fun -
>and good experience.  I am still trying to figure out how to cook in very
>large quantities!

Take to me about it sometime. Send me private e-mail and we can set
up some time to get together.

While i don't have masses of experience, i've helped cook for a few
months for 50 students when i was in an intensive Indonesian language
program - other students cooked too, as well as our Indonesian
teachers. I also taught a course on Southeast Asian cooking and one
on Indonesian cooking, during which i learned how to use minions,
errr, uh, students, that's what i meant, yeah, students... And i have
cooked a special one-night restaurant thing and for a wedding banquet
for 150 - Indonesian food for the omnivores and Middle Eastern for
the vegetarians, as requested by the bride, a friend of mine.

>Wow.  So I just call Berkeley Bowl and ask them to order it for me?

Yup. I called Tuesday morning and had it Friday morning.

>Can I
>get it in smaller than 10-lb batches?  I like the idea of homemade marzipan,
>but I don't think I'd ever have the time to make it in sufficiently large
>quantities.

10-1/2 lb. was the smallest quantity i could get, unless you want to
buy lots and lots of little 8 oz. packages, which gets expensive.. I
still have around 5 lb... It freezes...

>I bought some almonds recently for the purpose of trying to make
>my own marzipan, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I wonder if I can
>sneak a layer of marzipan into the quince tart I'm making tonight...hmmm...

Sounds like a plan :-)

Anahita