[Sca-cooks] ambergris substitute

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Sun Nov 18 19:11:14 PST 2001

It's really funny that you should bring this up, but I was just speaking
with someone at an event this weekend. I simply cannot validate this
info, so take it as a source of potential research only, but when I was
looking at a young gentleman's bath salt scrubs, I noticed an ingredient
that I did not recognize: meadowfoam seed oil. The botanical of the plant
is  Limnanthes alba. Very much not anywhere near a period plant, but...

When I asked him why he used it, he said it was an alternative to ambergris
and used as an oil fixative. What I suggest is comparing fatty acid chains of
ambergris and this seed oil and seeing what the similarities are.

iasmin