[Sca-cooks] One for the pros

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 12:29:30 PST 2001

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for the tips and references for
roasting whole pigs.  After some thought, I have abandoned the idea as too
expensive and too much of a headache.  (Who'da thunk a whole pig would cost
so much?)

However, my desire to prepare and serve a whacking big piece of meat will
not go unfulfilled.  I've been in touch with a local wholesaler, and they
can get me a boneless steamboat round, Certified Angus no less, at a very
reasonable price.  For the roast pork, they can get me boneless green hams
or butts.

The pork poses no problems for me; just stick them in an oven at about 300
degrees and let them roast all day.  The beef, however, is giving me pause.
I can't seem to find instructions on how to roast a whole steamboat round on
the Internet.  High or low temperature? Should I bother larding the roast,
or is there enough fat in this cut that I shouldn't worry?  How do I take
the internal temperature if my thermometer won't reach down into the middle
of the roast?  How much shrinkage/loss can I expect from cooking?

Should I just go with some smaller top rounds? :-)

Thanks in advance,

Vicente
It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange.
-Takeshi Kaga