[Sca-cooks] Flavored oils...

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Nov 1 15:42:58 PST 2001

>I came across an article that spoke about using garlic in olive oils and how
>it sometimes causes bochulism (my spelling is horrible and I apologize for
>it).  Does anyone else know if this is the case?  The recipe I used said
>nothing about worrying about poisoning people with these oils or keeping
>these things in the cooler afterwards!  Arg!

Botulism. I am given to understand it happens, but rarely; and mostly in
garlic-stored-in-oil for a while, as in days and weeks, not overnight in
a cooler.
My parents often have a home-made oil-and-vinegar-and-garlic-and-spices
salad dressing, that they've been using for years (the recipe, not the actual
dressing). Over the years that they've been using it, they've stored a fair
amount in the fridge - and no-one's ever come down with food poisoning, much
less botulism.

Alban