[Sca-cooks] Apple and Pear recipes...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:17:38 PST 2001

Mercy Neumark wrote:>
> I am trying to make different types of preserved items for presentation
> gifts.  I bought a bunch of pears and apples (and oranges, oh my!) recently,
> and I have been wondering if anyone had some period recipes to use these
> items that will last long (at least until Estrella)? especially interested
 in orange recipes
> What do you all think?-Arte
I'll leave someone else to answer the herbs part of this.
For pears, apples, and oranged you might check out the 16th-
17th century recipes for what are called clear cakes and
also fruit pastes. There is an assortment of original
recipes in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery in the
sweetmeats section. Also check out Rebecca Price's
manuscript that was published as The Compleat Cook, Or
the Secrets of a Seventeenth Century Housewife edited
by Marsha Masson. There are recipes scattered throughout
the literature. I have encountered several of late while
looking for icing references.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway