[Sca-cooks] bologna

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Nov 4 11:37:19 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

>I think Lebanese bologna may be an American variant originating in
>Lebanon, PA. (Essentially a German sausage-making tradition instead of
>an Italian one.)

LOL!!!!  Oh, now I DO feel silly :-)  I apologize for my bias, but it honestly never occurred to me to think of *cities* called Lebanon.  And furthermore, it seems that the main reason I never heard of this stuff is simply because it doesn't have a presence on the West Coast.  (Or does it?)

>As for why this would still be regarded as bologna, I can only class it
>along with German cervelat[to] and cotechino, German salami, kosher or
>otherwise, etc.

So it really doesn't have anything to do with bologna?  How odd.  I wonder how it got named that, though...perhaps at one point bologna was the only type of coldcut widely available, so any dried sausage was automatically classed along with it.  Does that make sense?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

>Well, there is a concoction known as "lebanon" bologna which is made in the
>town of Lebanon, PA (which is pronounced roughly "LEB-i-nin" (short i's), not
>"LEB-a-NON"),

OK, that makes a difference too.  I wouldn't have been as puzzled hearing it as reading it, I guess. :-)

>which comes in either standard or sweet flavor (which is
>usually just referred to as "sweet bologna").  It's fairly chunky, dark brown
>with white speckles, and a pronounced smoke flavor, with the sweet version
>being, well, sweeter.

It sounds interesting.  I'm curious to try it now...like I said, I've never seen it in California, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

>Brangwayna Morgan
>Lancaster PA, part of the shire which holds Lebanon

Cool :-)  I was in Pennsylvania this summer, and in Lancaster County got introduced to the entire canon of regional cuisine (shoo-fly pie and all that good stuff).  But I didn't hear about lebanon bologna...

Vittoria
not quite so confused anymore - thanks guys! :-)