[Sca-cooks] Lebanon bologna

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 4 21:34:30 PST 2001

Etain said:
> In a message dated 11/04/2001 7:55:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
> > . It is usually sold in the form of "bullets" (fat little
> > sausages perhaps eight inches by two or three), and in rings, like
> > kielbasa.
>
> It is??  I've always gotten it either presliced (like lunch meat) or sliced
> from a large roll from the deli.  It's the same diameter as most of the other
> deli "meats" (the roll type).  And yes..it's German...but specifically PA
> Dutch in origin, I think.

Yes, the stuff that I was talking about is four? five? inches in diameter.
Probably in a synthetic casing since it seems to be two or three feet
long.

I think the comments on "Lebanon" being related to PA rather than
the Levant to probably be correct. My local grocery (HEB) carries
two brands, Boarshead and another, probably brand-x. I happen to
like the taste of the latter better, and it is cheaper.

"German cervelat[to] and cotechino, German salami", "cotto salami"
etc. Someone mentioned recently two books, one on Middle Eastern groceries
and another on Asian groceries. I will probably be buying these when
I get around to it. I've mentioned before going into these types of
groceries and seeing interesting items and not knowing what to do
with them or what they really were. Does anyone know of any similar
book which defines and describes all these different processed meats
and sausages?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net