[Sca-cooks] de nola original and translation

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 16:08:46 PST 2001

On 5 Nov 2001, at 16:53, Gaylin Walli wrote:

> Just a quick question about the original De Nola text at the
> Cervantes website. When the text has the following markings in them
> online, what do they translate to in modern typographical terms? I can
> guess, and it'd be fairly educated based on my knowledge of
> typography, but if someone knows for sure, could they speak up?

You were not looking at the original text, but a transcription of the
original.  If you go to:
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/62846087574751
8031062082/  (sorry, it's long and it wraps)
you will see a facsimile of the original.

> <n>	example ab tot so<n>

These are abbreviations in the text.  In the original, some letters
have a dash over them.  For example "q" with a dash over it is an
abbreviation for "que".  The transcription fills in the missing letters,
with brackets to indicate that those letters do not appear in the
original.

> :	example escumal be:e apres

The colon is punctuation, not a replacement for a letter.  In a
modern text, we would probably use a semi-colon or a comma
there (or possibly a period -- medieval punctuation is a bit random
by modern standards).

> I'm trying to print some original recipe texts for a class I'm
> teaching and I'd like to have the real letters there for students to
> see.

I don't know if you can print out the facsimile pages, but you can
try.  My printer is out of order, but I was able to copy a page image
and paste it into a Wordpad document, so it *should* be printable.
Or if your class isn't very soon, I could send you a copy of a few
pages from the facsimile of the 1529 Spanish text.

HTH

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net